Sunday, October 25, 2009

March of Dimes/March for Babies

This weekend was the March of Dimes March for Babies for our area. This is an event that raises money for the March of Dimes. The March of Dimes helps fund research for premature babies. Robinson would not be here today if it was not for the tireless efforts of the March of Dimes. I'd be lying if I said that I haven't struggled from time to time with the amount of stress that having a premature baby brings in your life- let alone one that was 3 months premature. When I heard about this event, I really felt led to do all that I could do and raise as much money as I possibly could for this organization. In a way, they have given us so much, and I wanted to give back to them.

I enlisted the partnership of my good friend and neighbor, L to help me fund raise. I have to say that the March of Dimes makes it so easy with their online tools. I also have to give a BIG shout out to Fac.eb.ook because MUCH of our online donations came with posting our information on that social network. I was so touched with how giving family and friends were for this cause. People that I rarely get to talk to (and hardly ever see) took it upon themselves to donate and help us with our efforts. I am so humbled and grateful.

Our efforts paid off immensely. I do not know what our exact total was yet, because my aunt/uncle, grandmother, and parents each wrote a check that day (a big thank you to them), BUT I can tell you that was OVER $1500....AND we won 3rd place for the event for fundraising!!!! This is HUGE because the only 2 teams that raised more money were both corporate teams- a hospital and a grocery store. I felt so proud that our little 3 person team (L, my mom and myself) were able to help raise that kind of money for the March of Dimes.

It was a little cold for the walk, but we had so much and of course everyone ooohed and awed over our Robinson. It made me so grateful for how far we've come. I feel that I made something positive out of something that was so traumatic. I also feel compelled to participate in this event every year so that someday, somewhere, another mother of a 26 weeker might be able to sleep a little better at night and breathe a little easier during those first hard days at the side of an isolette in a lonely NICU.


It was a little cool and breezy, so we bundled the little guy up.
The Happy Family

THE Walking TEAM- on the back of our shirts it said "Lace Up Your Sneakers for our 26 Weeker"

Robinson had a blast
Mommy and her Little Man

1 comment:

  1. Jackie it looks like ya'll had an awesome time! So happy for your team and proud for Robinson =)

    The Turner family has quite a miracle story to share...and I know it's of great hope and encouragement for other families out there who are going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete