I feel like I'm part of a very bad country song...
congestion, runny nose, cough, wheeze/nebulizer...that's the path our boy follows.
We headed to the doctor this afternoon. She said its seems milder than the last cold, but he was still wheezing. Pulse Ox was still good (96/97), no fever, and all of his nasal discharge was clear. His lungs were also clear (no congestion, etc) and was moving good air- just has airway constriction b/c of the virus. They did a RSV swab and it was negative. So, we are back on the nebulizer 4x per day for 3-4 days- until the cough goes away and his breathing is better. You can tell when his breathing is better when he yawns- if he's wheezing, his yawn sounds whistle-y and if not, his yawn sounds 'clear'...frustrating that I know my son's breathing that well, isn't it? Oh the life of a preemie mom.
Plus, I'm sick as well. I think it's mainly a sinus infection, but I'm running a low grade fever and just generally feel yucky. Obviously, rest would do me good, yet any mother who's ever had a sick child knows that rest is the LAST thing on the agenda for the Mommy...so, hopefully I can kick my illness without little rest.
The stinkiest part of the appointment today was that the doctor said we have to stop going to The Little Gym and go back into semi-hibernation. We had been given the free/clear bill as I call it- it was cool for us to go anywhere...however, due to having 2 neb treatments in a month, we are back on hibernation. We can go to stores when it's less busy, but I have to keep Robinson in his stroller and no contact with any children and limited contact with adults until well into Spring. UGH- my little man is so social and CRAVES being around people. I know it's what is best for his health, but as the doctor said, obviously people have gotten lax around germs and hand washing around him b/c he's been exposed to things. Yes, these colds are good for his immune system to build up, but it's not good for his lungs to have back to back colds...
So...here is my sunshine post of the day. hahaha...yes, it could be worse and yes, I am thankful that he responds well to the nebulizer and for the time being we do not have to go on steroids, but I just want the little guy to catch a break.
We go back next week for his 18 month appt where will talk about getting Robinson evaluated for Speech Therapy...his pedi doesn't think he's too far behind for his adjusted age, but he's definitely behind. We want to try to be proactive and see if we can get him some one on one attention so that he can catch up quickly.
To be continued after next week's appt....but some pictures to make you smile...
In the car riding with Mommy

The car makes me sleepy...
I hope Robinson is feeling better soon. Brandon is still on the nebulizer too. Other than the babysitter we have made very few trips into the outside world since he has been on the nebulizer the first time. I try to go places when I know they aren't crowded. Surprisingly the doctors have not told me that he can't go out in public. It is just me being concerned. I was going to stop giving Brandon the pulmicort on Monday because the pulminologist told me I could try him off of it. He has sounded congested since Monday though so I haven't stopped. His nose isn't running though and he isn't coughing. Hopefully the rest of this winter will go by quickly.
ReplyDelete