I took Robinson to our pediatrician to discuss the developmental appt. She said that she had received their report and quite frankly thought it was crap. She said she didn't feel like they got a good evaluation at all and she said she also feels that it is impossible to evaluate a child in all 3 areas (OT, PT and Speech) in the span of 30 minutes in an unfamiliar environment for the child. She referred us to Ki.ds Kou.nt which is a therapy group close to our house. Dr. L said she would like him evaluated in all 3 areas. She doesn't believe he's behind in gross or fine motor skills, but she still would like to see what level he is testing. She does believe that he is delayed in Speech. She said boys are interesting. A lot of them are just late talkers, but with Robinson being a preemie, she would feel more comfortable that we go ahead and start therapy and try to encourage his communication skills. I totally agree with her recommendation.
We have the OT eval scheduled for June 17th (yes, these things take time and there is a waiting list!). I'm waiting for the Speech and Physical therapist to call me back and hopefully we will have eval dates scheduled with him soon. I love our pediatrician and I really trust her opinion. Hopefully we can get him started with Speech Therapy soon- although, I can't wait to see what he actually comes up with when he starts talking.
Other stats for 22 months: I used on online chart to get percentiles so this is an estimated percentile by me. We will have a more definitive percentile in July at his 2 yr appt.
Height - 35.5 inches- 85th-90th percentile for his Actual Age
Weight - 27.5lbs - between 40th-50th percentile for Actual Age
Head - 48 cm - around the 40th percentile for Actual Age
Now for a video- this is typical Robinson, climbing all over the couch. He is really into Diego right now, so it's pretty cute to hear him try to say "Go Diego Go"...the 'where is your nose' game is still apparently quite boring to Robinson b/c he refuses to play!
Go Diego Go
I couldn't help, but smile during that video! Such a boy...they don't sit still for a minute. :o)
ReplyDeleteGlad your appointment went well. Sounds like you guys have an awesome doctor.
Just went back and read the post about R's eval. I'm not sure how I missed that post. I think YOU are exactly right! I don't think anyone can make a true determination about what your child needs or is capable of in only forty minutes. Personally I think those evals are ridiculous and I have told our therapists that several times. MK does puzzles when she wants to do puzzles. She talks when she wants to talk. She runs when she wants to run. Does she do it on command or when anyone, including myself, asks her to? Not always. But guess what, neither do other children or even adults. Ughhhhh! Sorry to get on my soapbox. I just wanted to say that I think you and your ped are doing the best thing!
ReplyDeletevery glad y'all will have a "redo" evaluation! I can't get over how tall R is! you certainly wont have to worry about his height at all. oh & he is all over the sofa-so funny =)
ReplyDelete