I will admit, that I have not been the best blogger. I just can't seem to get excited about it any more. I guess it is a good thing, because it means that Robinson and I are having so much fun being outside and away from the house. When we are in the house, Robinson's favorite indoor activity is to color.
Everything else is pretty good. I had a lot of suggestions on our 'bathroom' situation with Robinson and after trying numerous things, flaxseed seems to be helping the most. I'm still using Miralax every other day or so until we can get things worked out, but there is much less crying and discomfort so that is what I'm happy about and is my goal.
We had Robinson's developmental appointment last week. He's about 28 pounds (they kept his clothes on for some strange reason, so I'm guessing he is between 27 and 28 lbs). It went okay. I don't like that it is a strange place with strange people and to say that their toys are uninteresting is the understatement of the year. Robinson has no problem with puzzles, however, their version is just a red circle. He threw it on the floor- and so they count that as not being able to do puzzles- whatever. The stairs were just big wooden blocks in an exam room. Robinson climbed to the top and jumped off- just like any other child, especially boys, would do. They said he couldn't climb down stairs. For the record, the next day at lunch, he climbed up and down about 20 times all by himself at the restaurant. But again, they don't go off what the parents say, they only see what they see in 40 minutes and think that is an adequate eval. Even with all of this nonsense, he's right at his actual age for almost everything, except expressive speech. They scored him at 10 months- which was extremely frustrating, because he HAS words, but he didn't say a thing while we were in there, so guess what. They scored him at 10 months. Now I know he is further than 10 months. I'd probably put him at about 15 months or so. He has some animal sounds and copies singing notes, etc. and clearly communicates with non verbal language. So, to say I was annoyed with this NICU f/u is a big understatement. We will not be going again. I just see them as pointless and I do not think they get an adequate picture if they only look at the 40 minutes that they see Robinson.
I will be taking Robinson in to see our pediatrician to talk about getting Robinson evaluated by Early Intervention. I trust EI. They come to your house, watch the child in their natural environment and seem to take into consideration parents' opinions and input. Now to be honest, I think Robinson is fine. I think he can talk, but he's lazy and is choosing not to for whatever reason. I trust our pediatrician, though, and if she thinks EI is a good idea, then we'll go with it. Ironically, even though the NICU therapists scored him so low on speech, they didn't suggest therapy ???? that was the other reason I don't really trust their opinion. So, we will go to someone we know and get her advice. Wish us luck!



He is so cute! I love all of his little faces he makes. :o)
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would bother going back either! How do they expect any child to do well in a strange environment like that?! I would've been so frustrated!