Sunday, April 5, 2009

Reunion Weekend at Old HC

We made it to April- yay! We are still 'technically' in RSV season, but we are at the end. Robinson will get 1 more RSV shot at the end of this month, and then we will be done until next season. Robinson's pediatrician said that we could start venturing out with Robinson this month, with obvious precautions. I asked her about Reunion Weekend at mine and Rian's alma mater, Huntingdon College. She said that it would be a great idea to take him, b/c 1. it is not a long car ride (2.5 hours) and we could see how he handled road trips and 2. the events are ALL outside, so I could keep Robinson in the stroller and limit his exposure to other people. Plus, Rian is in tax season and really needed some time to work. So, my parents and I loaded up and headed to HC this past weekend.



The trip was a great success. It was a beautiful weekend, we got to see my brothers and sister in law. Overall, Robinson was a GREAT baby. He loved being outside once his eyes adjusted to the sunlight and loved being strolled around on the campus. Granted, he would have preferred to be out of the stroller and walking around, but I was still a complete germaphobe and wanted to be careful. I have to say a special thank you to all of my friends that we saw. EVERYONE was so respectful of Robinson and his situation...no one asked to hold him, no one even touched him and they all kept their children at least a foot's distance from him and wouldn't let them touch him. I was so grateful to them that they understood our situation and how it was so important to keep Robinson healthy. We did find out that about 1.5 hours is Robinson's limit in the carseat. He HATES being in there, so I do not foresee any long road trips in our future!


And, because I know all of you are wondering, what does the end of RSV season mean and what can or can't Robinson do??

1. If you or anybody in your household is sick, he still can not be around you. If there is a family function, please let us know of any illness, so that we can know not to attend.
2. It is still imperative that you wash/sanitize your hands before touching Robinson or any of his toys.
3. We are going to be very cautious about holding Robinson...we aren't just going to let him be passed from person to person. We will let you hold him, as long as you are healthy, and have sanitized your hands. But in large gatherings, we will limit how many times he gets passed around- it can be very overwhelming for him. And we agree that it is not a good idea for children to hold him at all right now. Unfortunately, children are full of germs and you never know what he can pick up.


Again, we aren't saying this to be mean or to keep Robinson hidden. We will be attending family and friend functions (as long as no one is sick) and we will be going for walks in the park, etc. But we need you to understand that Robinson is still a preemie and is still VERY small for his age. Although, the risk of RSV has fallen, any kind of sickness could land him in the hospital- especially a stomach virus. He can get dehydrated very easily. I know that not everyone fully 'gets' what having a premature baby means and what their limits are- I know that both Rian and I had absolutely NO idea before Robinson was here. It has been a long educational journey for us and we continue to learn new things/limitations/challenges every day. So, we do understand that this is hard for all of you and you may think we are being silly, especially if you've never known a preemie. But Robinson's health is our #1 priority, and we will do everything to continue to keep him well. :)
More pictures from the weekend...
Rachelle, Josh, me, and James in front of Bellingrath
Swinging with Mommy on The Green

Josh and Rachelle with Robinson- and yes, I carried a miniature bottle of hand sanitizer with me all day so that everyone who held/touched Robinson would be clean. ;-)

James and Robinson...it was a beautiful day and don't you love that little smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment